Monday, April 16, 2012

Music Class Toolkits


These toolkits have been helping us to make the most of our music time! No more time spent waiting for everyone to get their rhythm sticks, more opportunities for participation and for responses. I love being able to ask a question and have students quickly write down an answer to show me on their whiteboard. No major setup involved- these kits are ready to go! I put them on a shelf at the end of the day to clear the room for vacuuming, and pop them back on the floor the next morning. Easy peasy!

My kits are color-coded at the suggestion of a third grader. Each student is assigned a certain kit to pull supplies from, and she noticed that students were fighting over certain supplies when there was a variety. So, for example, the red kit has all red egg shakers, red bean bags, red markers, red erasers, and I put a red mark on the rhythm sticks so I can keep track of which kit they're from.

6 comments:

  1. Where are these totes from?? I love them!

    Also, what are the bean bags for? ( I don't teach music, but admire your classroom organization!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The totes I initially found a Target, but I ended up ordering them in bulk from Amazon. They're made by Sterilite.

      Delete
  2. How many students do you have at one time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have between 20 and 26 students at a time, so the kits are set up to have enough supplies for my largest class.

      Delete
  3. So, do you have one kit for each student or per small group? Just curious since it looks like you have more than one set of rhythm sticks in each kit. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why bean bags are for?? Loooove your idea!

    ReplyDelete

Google Search

Loading

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...